Latest News


Welcome to MV Tanglewood. Please fill out the "Follow this blog by email" (to the right) to receive notifications of updates to the blog. Thanks, and enjoy!

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Fin Installation

We have fins!

They arrived this past week, but I had to be away for a few days on business so I wasn't able to get started until yesterday. The first step after un-crating everything was to paint the top of the fins with anti fouling paint since it won't be accessible after installation. The first picture shows the fins with the tops painted. You can see the notched profile on the top to clear the hull chine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSD4108.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	27064
Now that the fiber glass work is done and Glass Guy has moved on the other projects, I have my friend Fin-man helping out. In the next picture he's proudly posing next to the first fin that we installed. At first we had some trouble getting it on until we discovered that there was a layer of epoxy that had flowed down into the shaft socket on the fin and was causing it to bind up on the shaft. Once we figured out what was going on it was a simple thing to scrap it off, then everything went together as expected.
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSD4111.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	27065

The next photos show the fins installed with the bottom winglet in place.
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSD4114.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	27066

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSD4117.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	27067
From there we moved inside and put together the inside mechanism. The last picture show one side assembled, and you can see how close the fit is against the bulkhead panel, but everything appears to clear OK.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSD4119.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	27068

I must say, I breathed a big sigh of relief today.
 

 

 

No comments: