Latest News


Welcome to MV Tanglewood. Please fill out the "Follow this blog by email" (to the right) to receive notifications of updates to the blog. Thanks, and enjoy!

Friday, May 13, 2011

Hydraulic Cooling

A bunch of time today was spent on other projects, but I did get two things done on the stabilizers. The first was to reinstall the battery charger. I had to cut off the wire lugs to remove it so new ones needed to be crimped on with shrink-wrap sleeves. The first picture shows it all back together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSD4164.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	27324
The next was starting to install the oil cooler which requires some re-plumbing of the raw water intake for the starboard engine. I've been waiting for a 2-1/2" x 5" pipe nipple that I ordered and it finally came in today, so I started putting it together. But first, one of the old fittings had to be removed from the strainer, and my 14" pipe wrenches couldn't budge it. A quick trip to the local plumbing supply shop armed me with two 24" wrenches, and that did the trick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSD4163.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	27325
The last two pictures show the cooler in position straddling the front of the engine. Water comes out of the strainer, through the cooler, then down under the engine where it loops around to the pump. The new hose run will be a few inches shorter than before, but of course the length of the cooler is being added. This cooler body is a good bit larger that what's required to cool the hydraulics, but provides less intake restriction on the engine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSD4165.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	27326
Tomorrow AM I plan to cut and hook up the water hoses, then mount the oil filter and sort out the return hydraulic hoses. After that, I think I'm done.
 

 

No comments: