One thing we debated back and forth and finally decided to do was to hire someone to accompany us for some of the trip north. We have a fare amount of cruising experience, but we though that the combination of a new and unproven boat, a boat that is all new to us, and a coast that is all new to us was a lot of risk. Any one by itself would have been fine - perhaps even two - but all three seemed like it was asking for trouble.
On-board time was set for Monday at 7:00AM, and around 7:30 we were pulling away from the dock. That's when the first problem occurred. The bow thruster was intermittent thrusting to port from the wing station. I tested it at the main helm and it seemed to work reliably, so we kept going. One thing for the list.
The first half day was smooth, but things started to pick up through the Santa Barbara channel and around Pt Conception. But all-in-all it wasn't too bad. The second day was very calm all 24 hrs and made for easy shifts. But bad weather was on the horizon. A big system off shore to the north was whipping up some big seas north of San Francisco, so we decided to put in for a few days.
Coming into San Francisco was fun. Our initial approach was in the dark with first light just as we approached the Golden Gate Bridge. A cruise ship, a couple of tankers, and a cargo ship all converged, more or less, plus a research vessel, a tug, a few pilot boats, and a dozen or so fishing boats. Busy, but still not as busy as NYC.
|Entering San Francisco at first light|
We are now tied up in Sausalito to wait out the weather until we can continue north.