We are again anchored in a WiFi-free, 3G-free zone, so this will be a photo-free post from my iPad.
After leaving Havre Boucher on Sunday, we passed through the Canso Straight and lock (our last lock, horay) returning to the Atlantic. And there's a reason it's called the Atlantic and not the Pacific. We had a somewhat bouncy ride to a nice anchorage by Seal Harbor - wherever that is. The wind was starting to pick up again, and running right up the coast making for some nice waves.
The forecast for Monday was for 15kt winds in the AM, increasing to 20+ mid day, so we made a very early departure Monday and were underway before 6. But as soon as we got out into open water, it really started to kick up. Our goal had been a long run all the way to Halifax, but we started looking for a closer stop off point and identifed one about 20 miles away. Figuring we could deal with anyithing for 2 hrs, we kept on going. But after a half hour or so things calmed down, and when we got to our waypoint we decided to just keep going. The weather reports were calling for much worse the next day, so we figured we should just try to get as far as possible. Another 20 miles passed by and we kept going, and finally with the entrance to Halifax just another 30 miles, we decided to just go the whole way. The last 3 hrs or so were pretty bad with 6' plus waves, 20kt winds, and a lot of tossing around.
But sucking it up and making it through meant we could sit out the next day in Halifax, plus, listening on the radio we found another treat was coming our way. The Halifax Tall Ships festival was just concluding, and the parade of departing ships would be happening just as we arrived. It was a welcome treat to an otherwise long and uncomfortable ride. No pictures thought. Not only was I unable to stand and hold a camera, but the boat was getting washed down from every angle by the waves and wind so you could barely see anyway and opening a window or door would have instantly drenched the camera and photographer. Sorry.
Our first night in Halifax we spent at the city's waterfront marina which is where the Tall Ships had been tied up. It was a nice down-town location and we were able to spend Tuesday doing some shopping, getting groceries, and getting a couple of beaver tails to satisfy my sugar craving, all while quite the shit-storm was blowing out at sea. We also needed fuel, and to get it downtown meant calling in a truck which would meet us at another pier, but was only allowed there in the evening. Instead, we decided to relocate to the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron where fuel was available dockside, and where there was shore power.
RNSYS turned out to be a great place with friendly people and a very active boating club. Just for kicks, I asked if they knew where I might get the plug end that I needed for our shore power cord, and the waterfront manager picked up the phone and within 10 minutes had located one. This is the plug end that I have been searching for since Quebec City. He offer me a ride up to the chandlery and within an hour our shore power cord was repaired.
The forecast for today was pretty questionable, but we decided to give it a try with Lunenburg only about 20nm once you get out of Halifax harbor/bay. It turned out to be just fine. Even though there was a residual 6' swell from the day before, and even though it was coming from two directions at the same time, it was a gentle roll and not uncomfortable, so we continued past Lunenburg. And are now anchored off Moshers Island a bit further down the coast. If the weather continues to hold up, we should be back in the US in a few days.